Thursday 3 September 2015

Foundry Photojournalism Workshop 2016 | Cape Town

Photo © Daylin Paul. All Rights Reserved

Registration in the Foundry Photojournalism Workshop in Cape Town, South Africa is now open!

Yes, you read that correctly. The Foundry Photojournalism Workshop will take place in Cape Town in mid July.

I've written a number of posts on this blog praising the Foundry Photojournalism Workshop, but it's certainly worth repeating this:

"I've often suggested to my class participants that attending a Foundry workshop is not only about enhancing their craft with advice of some of the best (and certainly selfless) photographers and photojournalists in the business, or about the class they've chosen or even about their own stories and image-making, but it's also about rubbing shoulders with other participants, whether these are peers, or just starting their photography careers, or veterans, and with all sorts of other styles of image-making....it's about augmenting their exposure to different worlds, about exposing themselves to divergent thought processes, to varying points of view, and in doing so...grow as human beings (and yes, as photographers too)."

But perhaps  you think that I, as one of the instructors, am being biased.

If so, here is what Neelima Vallangi, a participant in the just completed workshop in Bali, has written about her unique experience:

"Storytelling and especially visual storytelling is a difficult craft that needs a lot of honing and mentoring. Above all, it needs a lot inspiration. During the 5 years that I have taken up photography, never have I been inspired so much to tell a story, any story. It was always about getting one good shot, just an independent shot that fit nowhere in the arc of storytelling. Without a purpose, I was as lost as a fish out of water. I always just thought of making pretty pictures, now I see that even a landscape can have a story to tell."

For more of her post workshop experience, read here.

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...