Tuesday 21 April 2015

Supranav Dash | Varanasi

Photo © Supranav Dash-All Rights Reserved
It's a little over a year that I was last photographing in Varanasi; in my view, certainly one of the most photogenic cities on earth, and I thought I'd "reconnect" visually with it through the work of Supranav Dash's Varanasi.

I miss India and its infinite layers of culture, traditions and religiosity... and photographic work such as this one rekindles the attachment.

The above photograph is of a pehlwan training area overlooking the city's ghats, where presumably a practitioner of this ancient wrestling sport is seen making puja before his training.

I posted Supranash's work Trades Portraits earlier on this blog, which I thought were lovely monochromatic images of fast disappearing occupations in India.

Supranash Dash was brought up in Kolkata, India. He started his a career in Fashion/ Advertising/ Editorial Photography in that city, and later went on to work for a magazine in Mumbai. He has a BFA in Photography (Honors) from the School of Visual Arts, NYC. He currently lives and works in Brooklyn, and has a long list of awards. His areas of interest are Fine Art and Social Documentary.

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure